Sunday, March 13, 2011

Assignment 3 #5 Forbidden/Impossible Colors

So I've never actually heard of these so called forbidden colors. And especially these phrases when I looked it up. I've asked all of my artist friends online and offline and they've never heard about them before either. So from this I actually wanted to roll my eyes and call this stuff that doesn't apply to me because with traditional media, I'm happy making whatever colors I want.


But instead I recalled a thing with binocular vision that could somewhat allowed you to see a reddish green or a bluish yellow. The idea I don't recall was definitely one or the other.
Was either
1) Stare at one dot for about 20/30 seconds in one square and then move to stare at the dot in the other square and the colors around the edges of the boxes could sorta turn into the forbidden colors.
Note: I tried this with the red to green and saw little redish tints at the end. Following that was tears out of my eyes from staring for so long. (ps, i'm not joking about the tears so warning if you attempt this)
2) Stare at both the dots and then if you cross your eyes it can merge the boxes and you can somehow see the forbidden colors. (I wasn't able to pull this off but I do remember some little eye test like this was in a magazine or something.)

I also wasn't sure if the merging of colors with your eyes played with white and black. From what I remember there was always a black dot in the center. (That's the one that worked for me for #1) and so I made red green yellow blue with reverse black and white dots. Attempt this at your own risk. Forbidden colors hurt.





1 comment: